//This is not my own photo (obviously) because I may or may not have burnt mine both times I made it. But in my defense, I like my food well-done. Photo from recipe source, Two Peas and Their Pod.)//
Sometimes you just need to eat a grilled cheese sandwich. And sometimes you can add roasted broccoli to that sandwich to not only make yourself feel healthier, but to also transform it into the tastiest grilled cheese you have ever had. You can’t go wrong with the classic broccoli and cheese combo. Anna, you MUST try this.
from Two Peas and Their Pod
Makes 3-4 sanwiches
Florets from 1 medium head broccoli (about 1/2 pound), chopped small
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
Unsalted butter, softened
6 to 8 slices bread
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded or thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. On a sheet pan, mix the broccoli, oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the broccoli is evenly roasted but not burnt. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
3. Heat a skillet over medium-low heat.
4. Spread butter evenly on one side of each slice of bread. Dividing the ingredients evenly, layer cheese on the unbuttered side of half of the bread slices, then add chopped broccoli in the middle and more cheese on top so that the broccoli lies between two layers of cheese. This keeps the small pieces of broccoli from falling out as the cheese melts. Top each with another slice of bread, butter side out.
5. “Grill” in the skillet, turning sandwiches over once, until the cheese melts and the bread is evenly toasted.